Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Scottish Arms

Welcome to my first (documented) venture out into the St. Louis bar scene.  First on the docket: The Scottish Arms.  Located on the east edge of the Central West End, The Scottish Arms is best known for their exhaustive offerings of (what else) scotch whisky.  

Quick tangent: ever wonder some brands are ‘whisky’ and others are ‘whiskey?’  It all depends on where the spirit is produced.  American and Irish brands are the only ones that spell it whiskey.  All other brands (Scottish, Canadian, etc.) are spelled whisky.  Why, I hear you ask?  I have no clue.  Maybe in another post I will tackle that question.

Scotch is an acquired taste, and as such, I have failed to acquire it.  It seems like it would be right in my wheel house; it is whisky, after all.  At family gatherings, it is always available, and I always partake, yet, I have not found a special place in my heart for it as I do with bourbon. However, like the dutiful blogger that I am, I feel that I need to experience each and every bar’s main feature.  So, of course, I get a sampler of three scotches.  I let my kilted, bearded waiter drive my choices, as I know nothing about the different regions or brands.  I was presented with Cragganmore, Dalwhinne, and Bunnahabhain brands from the Speyside, Islay (pronounced eye-lay), and Highland regions, respectively.  (If you are geographically curious, the map at the start of the post will help.)  Three scotches, three very different experiences.  Flavors varied from honey to smoke to floral to leather.  The most profound moment of the tasting occurred when trying the Bunnahabhain.  My waiter described it thusly: “It’s like being punched in the mouth, but then that same person makes out with you after.”  At first, I smirked at the seemingly over-the-top description, but after tasting, I realized that his statement was very accurate.  The alcohol bite of the Bunnahabhain was at first overwhelming, but the honey flavors smoothed out the finish, almost to the point where it could be considered sweet.  Granted, it still had a leathery taste to it, but overall, I would gladly order a dram of it.

Seeing as how this blog is supposed to be about cocktails, I then decided to browse the Arms’ cocktail menu.  The first one to catch my eye was called “The Redundant.”  The menu description:

Based off the Alcoholic’s White Russian which used Bailey’s instead of cream, we though a lightly smoky scotch such as Johnnie Walker Red would play nicely and it does.  So what to call it?  Originally we called the Drunken White Scotsman[sic], but we thought that was a bit redundant.  Johnnie Walker Red, Kahlua, Frangeilco[sic], Bailey’s.

I love White Russian’s, so this was an exciting variation; in theory, at least.  While the Bailey’s is a fun idea, it takes away the richness that heavy cream would provide.  The smoky flavor imparted by the Johnnie Walker is barely noticeable, but the Frangelico provides a welcome nutty flavor.  Overall, I would rather just have a White Russian, but maybe my taste buds are not trained enough to enjoy the scotch addition.  And if you like Bailey’s, then definitely give this drink a try.

In relation to the previous post, my wife ordered the Rye Manhattan from the cocktail list.  They put a ton of bitters in their version, almost to the point where the sweet vermouth is nullified.  My wife ordered two, if that is any indication to the quality of the drink.

Ever been to The Scottish Arms?  How was your experience regarding the drinks or otherwise?  Leave your opinions in the comments.

Also, I started a Twitter account as a way to announce new posts.  Feel free to comment or ask questions @rebellionwhisky.    

No comments:

Post a Comment