Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Search

Ah, the Jack Daniels and Coke.  A simple, ubiquitous beverage that combines the two most recognized drink brands in America.  It is an effortless cocktail that both elder statesman and collegiate drinkers can prepare and enjoy.  I cannot tell you how many of these sweet, mellow beverages I have consumed in my young life, but I’ll tell you one thing: though I have enjoyed them, I am getting bored with the drink.  With the beverage’s inherent simplicity, comes the drink’s unfortunate plainness.  So, what do you do? 

Rebel, obviously, against bland drinks, pre-conceived notions, and our personal cocktail histories.      

With all of that said, welcome to my first sojourn into the world of blogging.  I am actually a little nervous; the thought of individuals caring about what I think and those same individuals basing their choices on my opinions is unsettling.  What type of knowledge do I have over any other individual? 

There is the beauty of this blog: I am not an expert and I will never claim to be.  I am hoping to discover my own opinions about the world of cocktails and try and find a higher level of cocktail enlightenment.  In doing so, I hope readers, whether few or many, also find that next level.

So how do we achieve this enlightenment?  Is it as easy as just trying new cocktails and telling you how I feel about them?  I doubt it; the enlightenment comes from the sharing of opinions, recipes, and techniques.  It’s about searching for the classic way to make cocktails, and then experimenting, expanding, and improving upon the recipe. 

Initially, I will start with finding those classic cocktails and preparing them in the traditional manner.  This will include both simple and complex recipes, varying from a straightforward gin and tonic to an ambitious sazerac (rye whiskey and absinthe!). 

Another significant part of the search will include obtaining opinions about the different brands of spirits available.  Do I prefer Maker’s Mark or Knob Creek as my bourbon of choice?  Is a margarita better with resposado or añejo tequila?  Should you shake a martini á la James Bond-style or stir?  All these questions will (hopefully) be answered. 

 I can hear your skepticism radiating from my computer screen.  How on earth am I going to learn how a cocktail is actually supposed to taste like?  A Mr. Boston recipe book is no assurance that I will be able to make the drinks properly.  Therefore, the final portion of my search will include visiting as many knowledgeable cocktail artists and mixologists in the St. Louis area as possible.  In simpler terms, I will go to a lot of bars.  I will savor their take on classic cocktails as well as taste the bartender’s signature cocktail (hopefully they have one) and rate the experiences. 

Please, feel free to comment on the things I have posted.  Post your favorite way to prepare the drink.  What is your favorite rum?  Tell me your opinions on bars in the St. Louis area.  Who has the best old-fashioned in the city?  Let’s try and find out together.  A whiskey and coke is nice beverage, but do you want to be stuck with just that option?  Or do you like a Cuba Libre better?  Or a Rob Roy?  Or a whiskey sour?  Hopefully you are the inquisitive type like me, and hopefully, you will find your personal cocktail preferences along with me.

Thanks for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment